Another Blender 3D project that was inspired by a blog post. I wanted to write something about my work experience and I imagined creating all the assets in Blender. It didn't take very long for me to realize that if I wanted to create everything from the story, I would take months to complete the project. So instead, I applied the same techniques I talked about previously.
I create only the things that will be viewed on the scene and nothing else.
I don't have a lot of experience creating complex models. In the past I watched a few tutorials that went way over my head. So what I try to do is keep everything simple without showing obvious laziness on the image. I created the very simple drawing board.
I looked at many reference photos, a drawing board has a lot of small parts that I didn't have to time to model. One trick I learned is, if you are not going to make a close up shot don't kill yourself over the small details.
The office scene itself is very simple. I reused some assets that you can find in my previous work. By the way I love the window generator 2 add on. It makes my life so much easier. Kudos to the author of this tool.
There are 3 things I set myself to learn when creating a scene. Modeling, texturing, and lighting. With the first two I manage to get away with. There are so many tutorials on the web that shows you exactly how to do it.
Lighting however is more complicated. It is not an exact science. You can have the most beautiful model and texture but your lights sucks. I still don't know how to go with it. But I know the remedy: Trial and Error.
I spend a very long time playing with the light. Sometimes it looks so bad and I don't know how to fix it. I just accept it.
So I started to create small stages where I can put any objects that I build and I test if the pass the 3 light system.
It's not perfect, but it helps me find obvious mistakes and fix them accordingly.
The main ingredient for success is failure. There is no such thing as over-failing, you are just discovering more things that don't work.
That's it for today. I hope documenting my process can be of help to other newbies like me.
If you are interested in seen the final result of the images with context, check my blog post:
Feedback is always welcome.